I think everyone can use more easy shredded chicken in their lives (except for the vegans and vegetarians. Sorry y’all, this one is not for you). It is perfect for anything–tacos, enchiladas, soups, loaded baked potatoes, sandwiches, or salads. When doing meal prep, this Tuesday Tip makes having shredded chicken easy to have on hand for just about anything!
To make easy shredded chicken, all you need to do is fill a pot a little more than halfway with water and bring to a boil. Then add your boneless skinless chicken breasts in (make sure you pick a big enough pot so the water does not overflow once you add the chicken). Put a lid on and set a timer for 20-25 minutes (depending on how thick the chicken breasts are). During this time, keep an eye on the chicken occasionally. Sometimes the water gets to a state that is a little too much of a “rolling boil” and the water overflows out of the pot. No big deal if it does, but sometimes I have to turn the heat down slightly and/or not put the lid on the pot all the way so that there is a little room to let the steam come out.
Once the 20-25 minutes is completed, you will want to transfer the chicken breasts using tongs to your electric mixer bowl (I highly recommend the KitchenAid Mixer–they last forever. This is the one I have.). Using your paddle attachment, you will turn on your mixer and the paddle will shred your chicken. I recommend putting a dish towel over the mixer in case you have a “chicken overboard situation.” The longer you let the mixer run, the finer your chicken will be shredded. I recommend letting it mix for 1-4 minutes, depending on how shredded you want your chicken. Once shredded, you can enjoy it with just about anything!
Instructions on how to cook your chicken:
- Fill a pot about ½ to ¾ full of water and bring to a boil.
- Add your chicken breasts to the boiling water (not frozen, must be thawed). I typically do a pound to a pound and a half of chicken (2 chicken breasts).
- Put the lid on and let the chicken cook in the boiling water for 20-25 minutes. Watch for the pot overflowing and turn down the heat and/or crack the lid if needed.
How to shred your chicken:
- After 20-25 minutes, use tongs to remove the chicken breasts and add to your mixing bowl. You will want to shred your chicken using the mixer while it is still hot (cold or room temperature chicken does not shred as well this way).
- Using your paddle attachment, turn on the mixer on low to shred the chicken (lock the mixer in place). Drape a dish towel over the bowl to prevent chicken from flying out of the bowl.
- Mix for 1-4 minutes, until the chicken is shredded to your desire.
How to enjoy your easy shredded chicken:
When I meal prep, I make at least one pound of chicken like this easy week and store in the refrigerator. It makes for easy meals with minimal to no cooking. I used to spend so much time shredding the chicken by hand with two forks, but using the mixer has saved me so much time and not to be dramatic, but it has changed my life.
I hope you guys get as much ease and joy from this Tuesday Tip as I did!
This page contains affiliate links.