Cookies…inside….cookies? Sign me up!
I love everything about Oreos. They are my favorite packaged cookie. So naturally I love everything that is cookies and cream flavored–ice cream, milkshakes, cheesecake, ETC. I even love cookies with Oreos inside them (and if you don’t, I’m not quite sure what is wrong with you). Now fast forward to me talking to one of my best friends who eats dairy free. She told me that Oreos are in fact dairy free (cue the mind blown emoji). So I started thinking, “Can I make dairy free cookies & cream cookies?”
Well if the answer was not yes, this would be a shitty blog post. It took me a few tries, but I got there and now want to share this Dairy Free Cookies & Cream Cookie recipe with you!
I was able to make these dairy free cookies & cream cookies by using Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese Alternative It is almond milk based, so I would encourage using Kite Hill for this recipe or another almond milk based alternative instead of coconut milk or cashew based (they may turn out great, but I did not test these).
The recipe is pretty simple and only requires you to mix all the ingredients and then cook the cookies. No chilling the dough or mixing wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately (although you can if you really want to).
I will caution you to not break apart your oreos too much. I typically put mine in a plastic baggie and use a skillet, heavy jar, book, or wooden spoon to break apart the cookies (It’s a great way to get out anger if you are into that sort of thing). Just don’t go too crazy because you still want chunks or small pieces of oreos. You do not want Oreo crumbs.
Another note before we jump right in: This recipe yields 12 cookies. So if you are making for a party, event, or to have around for a few days, you should double or triple the recipe. If you cannot trust yourself with cookies in the house for an extended amount of time, then follow the recipe as below.
- 4 oz. Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese (Almond Milk Based)
- 8-9 Oreos crushed to small pieces/chunks (not crumbs)
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of ghee
- ½ cup flour
- ⅜ cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix all ingredients except for the Oreos together until well combined
- Add Oreos to the mixture until well combined.
- Using a 1.5 TBSP cookie scoop, drop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart (yields 12 cookies).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until cookie edges are slightly golden.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Double or triple the recipe if you are looking to make these for a large group or to have on hand. (This recipe yields about 12 cookies.)
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.