Looks fancy. Easy to make.
Normally when I have steak, I love some sort of white potato as the accompaniment (mashed potato, baked potato, oven roasted potatoes–I don’t discriminate). It wasn’t until I got older that I realized that I should probably have SOME sort of color or green vegetable on my plate too, which is how I started eating asparagus. Wrap it with bacon and you have yourself the perfect side dish to your steak dinner (or any dinner really)!
This bacon wrapped asparagus recipe is just as it sounds–you wrap bacon around bunches of seasoned asparagus and bake in the oven! I think the important thing about this recipe is that you will want to make sure the edges of the bacon (the “seam”) are face down on the pan. That way the edges of the bacon do not curl and the asparagus stays in one bundle. The other important thing about this recipe is that at the end you do want to broil it for a few minutes to make sure the bacon gets crispy. This is a personal preference because I love my bacon crispy and my asparagus a little toasted, so I recommend watching the asparagus when you do switch to broil, just to make sure it is cooked the way you like it (plus all ovens are a little different).
My mom taught me a secret trick when making bacon wrapped asparagus: lemon juice. Okay, okay–that is more of a noun than a trick. Let me try again. Right after the asparagus comes out of the oven, you want to squeeze fresh lemon juice over them. Not too much, now! You want just a little bit to bring out the flavors of the bacon and the asparagus. This is not fish, so you don’t want THAT much lemon juice on there.
Serve this up with steak, grilled chicken, or as a fancy appetizer and it is sure to please. Enjoy!
- 2 bunches of fresh asparagus, washed
- 7 slices of raw bacon (Whole30 and Paleo compliant such as Applegate (no sugar variety), Pederson’s, or Butcher Box brands)
- ¼ TBSP salt
- ¼ TBSP pepper
- 1 ½ TBSP avocado oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set to the side.
- Wash both bunches of asparagus and cut tips of the stems off as needed.
- Pat asparagus dry using a dish towel or paper towel.
- Toss asparagus with salt, pepper, and avocado oil.
- Divide asparagus into seven bundles.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each bunch of asparagus. Place the seam side down onto the pan. Try not to have the bacon overlap over itself.
- Repeat with all bunches of asparagus.
- Put in oven for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, put the oven on a high broil and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and squeeze lemon juice over the asparagus.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe yields seven servings.
- If you have a larger pack of bacon, feel free to stretch the asparagus to eight bundles if needed. Packs of bacon differ greatly depending on the brand and the cut of meat. I have had some packs of bacon in which the bacon was very long, so I cut the slices by half or to only ¾ of the original length. I have also made “mini” bacon wrapped asparagus by cutting half slices in half and only have 4-5 pieces of asparagus per bundle.
- This page contains affiliate links.